29 March 2010

Arguing with the vet...

Back from the vets, and feeling exhausted... not so much because of Miki, he will be fine, I think, but because it seems such a struggle to do the right thing.
As usual, Miki was more upset about the trip than actually being at the surgery - once there he always seems so scared he forgets to struggle - he just hides in my arms... The vet soaked his paw and poked off all the crusty bits and underneath all that gunk it isn't looking as bad as I thought - there is even a tiny bit of nail left, so that's good news.
The vet said he needed daily washes to keep it clean, antibiotics and an injection of metacam(!). I said calmly that I wasn't happy with the metacam, and that he didn't seem to need it. She went from smiley and bubbly to court and annoyed and turned away furiously typing into her computer 'giving me time to decide'. I stuck by my decision and thankfully she didn't press the point any further but her manner really made me feel like I didn't want the best for my kitty. Besides the specific well documented metacam issues, Miki really doesn't look like he needs a painkiller - his foot hardly seems to bother him, so this seemed really excessive!
Feeling totally drained now, even if it wasn't such a huge argument really; it's just really tough to stand by your decision in the face of a 'knowing' doctor. But I did, so at least feeling good about having achieved that! :-) Beyond all that, I'm still glad I did take Miki, because I feel reassured that it's not a serious injury and he will recover just fine with gentle care.

No comments: