10 May 2010

Impaled by tooth

The moment I came in the door I knew something was wrong... Psipsina didn't come to greet me, and when she showed up a while later she was acting strangely removed and cagey. I tried to brush it away as being oversensitive over my absence, and got on with the evening. Psips sat motionless on her box. This couldn't be right, so I had to have a closer look. She growled at me when I picked her up, and then I noticed she kept her tongue sticking out oddly. When I tried to look into her mouth she started yelling... (but no bites or major scratches, sweet girl she is)...

We got off to the vet first thing in the morning, with the cat box (a re-conditioned LeCreuset cardboard box) strapped on the back of my bicycle. The vet took one look at her mouth: the tooth was not broken, it was stuck through her lip!!
How on earth...??? Poor thing, she must have endured that impaled lip for at least 2 days... (and feeling really guilty I wasn't there to notice). I had to leave her at the vets to be sorted out under sedation.
Got her back home now, with a hole in her lip (the tooth really went straight through) but a lot happier. Just hope she heals well now (and without complications from all the drugs put into her...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meeeow! With the emphasis on the "ow".

Everycat said...

Ouch, poor little girl. I expect the vet used the minimum in sedation so it won't be an issue. Sedation drugs have a very short half life in the body. That must have been so painful for her!

WW

Unknown said...

Was it expensive to get it removed.? My cat has the same problem right now, but we have no money for vet right now...

ladyK said...

Your poor cat! I can only imagine the pain...
It was't too expensive for Psips as it was a minor procedure, and she didn't have to stay in. Then main thing is to get the lip 'unhooked' - there is no way this can resolve itself or heal otherwise. And if your cat stops eating because of the pain then she'll be in real trouble. If there is any way she will let you pull the lip off the tooth I guess you could see if it will the wound will heal itself, but otherwise I would really uge you to take the cat to the vet! If you are in the UK, maybe there is a Blue Cross hopsital near you, or maybe the vet will let you pay in rates? Hope all goes well.