21 December 2009

Cats are carnivores

When Psipsina arrived with the kittens it was all a bit overwhelming at first. How on earth do you take care of a queen and her litter??
Well, first you get out a dish of milk. Then you go to the corner shop and buy a can of cat food. And then some more, perhaps in different flavours. Then you start thinking that any old cat food might not be the best, so you start researching for better, then for 'the best' cat food. You surely want the best for your furbabies.
The first 'premium' food I bought was from the vet shop: "organic chicken and brown rice" somehow sounded good and healthy (I did find it a bit odd though that the 'sales' floor at this particular local vet 'shop' occupies three times the space of the treatment rooms.)
I found more and better info online; it soon occurred to me that 'grain free' food made more sense for a cat. There is not much of that around but I tracked down some Swedish wet food, and some Canadian dry kibble. By then the kittens had started eating some solid food too, and everybody seemed happy enough with what I gave them. They always wolfed it down in seconds rather than minutes. All seemed fine to me, and it never occurred to me, not with a single thought, to feed them anything else.


Then Psipsina had to have her spay operation. It worried me sick for days before, but she seemed to recover well. Being trapped in a box to be taken to the vets seemed by far the most traumatic part of the experience. A check-up visit was required, so to save her yet more vet trips it seemed to make sense to get her vaccinations done on that occasion. By the evening she was obviously feeling rather poorly and I panicked - what had I done to submit her to these shots, barely a few days after the op???... I threw myself into an internet search again.
And suddenly I found myself in the middle of an awful lot of new information - about vaccinations and their harmful side effects, about the pet food industry and its very long arms, about how cats' bodies are built to digest meat and only meat... I realised how easily and thoroughly I had been brainwashed, along with everybody else, into believing that processed cat food was the best choice (all while I despise processed food for myself).

I was horrified. Everything I read here, and elsewhere, made suddenly a lot of sense. The next day I went out and bought a pack of chicken wings. That was 3 weeks ago - we have never looked back!

No comments: